Position: Resident Imam
Vacancy Ref: RIC/1/2018
Intake: 19th February 2018
Deadline: 22nd March 2018
Reading Islamic Centre is one of the most established Sunni mosques in Reading, Berkshire, serving a large and diverse community. The Masjid urgently requires a learned, dynamic and approachable scholar or student of knowledge to take up the position of Imam at our Centre based close to Central Reading. We seek a character who can offer Islamic religious guidance, practices, and leadership, according to the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).
The position will require the following duties to be carried out at the centers:
- leading daily prayers
- giving Friday sermons
- leading Eid prayers
- leading Janazah prayer
- performing Nikkah (Islamic Marriage) ceremonies
- being at the Masjid on a full time basis as required
- teaching Qur’an
- teaching Islamic sciences.
- The successful candidate will be fluent in English, Arabic and Urdu.
- The candidate must be able to present a recognised qualification in Islamic Studies from an appropriate institute.
- The candidate must be able to engage with all sections of the community, particularly the youth, and must be highly motivated to spread the true teachings of Islam based on the Qur’an, the authentic Sunnah and the Understanding of the Companions.
- He must have a good understanding of current affairs and our position as Muslims in Britain in the 21st Century, and be able to present Islam in this context.
- He must have demonstrable scholarship of the Shariah, and also the Islamic Sciences such as Aqedah and Hadith. The candidate must also be able to counsel members of the community, and advise them on their day-to-day matters as well as more serious issues.
- The candidate must also be able to work together with the Centre Management Committee and other staff members in the running of various Masjid services such as regular classes, meetings and events. He must also have experience in interfaith relations, and be able to communicate with and present Islam to non-Muslims in the wider community.
- Overseas applicants must hold a degree in English from an academic institute and must fulfil the english requirements as per the UK immigration.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must be received by Reading Islamic Centre by 22nd March 2018 either via email or by post, for information visit the Contact page.
Apply Now: Imam - Job Application Form (89 downloads)